Polk School District utilizes myON, a web-based personalized literacy program, to promote reading anytime and anywhere as well as help us as educators meet the reading needs of our students. We are able to access each student’s Lexile score through myON. Lexile is a tool that assesses the reading ability of each student. This is done through a benchmark assessment that students take every two weeks if they have read at least 5 books or 3 hours in the program. Once students receive a Lexile score we are then able to match them up with books and texts that they are able to read successfully and will promote their reading growth.
Some additional information you need to know about myON:
• Students complete an initial interest inventory as well as benchmark upon logging into the program for the very first time. Interest inventories can be changed as students’ interests change.
• Benchmark assessments are taken every two weeks if a student has read at least 5 books or 3 hours in the program.
o Students MUST complete the Lexile benchmark independently. There is no reason for a child to have outside help to complete this assessment. This is how we receive an accurate reading score for each child and can plan accordingly how to help students increase their reading ability.
• The books under the Recommended tab at the top of the page are where students should select books that are hand picked for them according to their interests and reading ability. These books promote maximum reading growth.
• myON is accessible through the internet or an app available in the app store. The app is good only for students who have devices but no wifi at home. Books can be downloaded in the app while at school and read offline at home. For students with home internet access myON is better accessed through Safari on Apple devices or Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome web browsers.
• Students log in using Westside Elementary (Polk School District), their 5 digit lunch number, and password myon.
• Students have weekly reading goals that include a certain number of myON books that have to be read in order to meet the goal. Reading through the myON program to meet these goals can be done at school and/or at home. Please contact your child’s teacher for more information on your child’s weekly reading goals.
If you have more questions concerning myON you can contact your child’s teacher or our Media Specialist Amanda Gravett at email@example.com.