Most students love the geometry standards! This is an extremely heavy vocabulary unit! The must know the words, and be able to recognize examples when they see them. We will discuss basic geometry terms, various angles, various triangle types, and lines of symmetry. This is a fun unit, but also difficult if students do not remember the vocabulary.
MGSE4.G.1 Draw points, lines, line segments, rays, angles (right, acute, obtuse), and perpendicular and parallel lines. Identify these in two-dimensional figures.
MGSE4.G.2 Classify two-dimensional figures based on the presence or absence of parallel or perpendicular lines, or the presence or absence of angles of a specified size. Recognize right triangles as a category, and identify right triangles.
MGSE4.G.3 Recognize a line of symmetry for a two-dimensional figure as a line across the figure such that the figure can be folded along the line into matching parts. Identify line-symmetric figures and draw lines of symmetry.
Vocabulary for Unit 6
1) Point: a single location in space (a dot)
2) Line Segment: a straight row of points that starts at one point and ends at another point (a line with 2 dots on each end)
3) Line: a straight row of points that goes on forever in both directions (a line with 2 arrows at each end)
4) Ray: a straight row of points that starts at one point and goes on forever in the other direction (a line with a dot on one end, and an arrow on the other)
5) Angle: a geometric shape formed by 2 rays that meet at a common endpoint called a vertex
6) Parallel Lines: 2 lines that are always the same distance apart and never cross (railroad tracks, an equal sign)
7) Perpendicular Lines: 2 lines that cross at a 90 degree angle (a plus sign)
8) Equilateral Triangle: a triangle that has all 3 sides the same length
9) Isosceles Triangle: a triangle that has 2 sides with the same length
10) Scalene Triangle: a triangle that has no sides with the same length
11) Acute Triangle: a triangle that has 3 acute angles
12) Right Triangle: a triangle that has one right angle
13) Obtuse Triangle: a triangle that has one obtuse angle
14) Line of Symmetry: a line dividing a shape into 2 matching parts
Alien Angles: estimate the size of a given angle measure
Geometry Vocabulary Kahoot: practice your knowledge of points, rays, lines, and line segments
Angles Kahoot: practice your knowledge of acute, obtuse, and right angles