Georgia Milestones Assessment
This week is the beginning of our district’s statewide testing. Elementary and middle school testing begins on Tuesday, April 17th, and the high school testing window starts the first week in May.
The Georgia Milestones are comprehensive summative tests that measure how well students have learned the knowledge and skills outlined in the state-adopted content standards. These assessments cover language arts, mathematics, science and social studies. The Georgia Milestones also provide educators, students, and parents with critical information about their own achievement and their readiness for their next level of learning; the next grade level, the next course, and college or career.
Polk School District teachers have been working hard to prepare students during the months leading up to these tests during the school day, and students have been working hard to gather the knowledge and skills needed to be successful. By working together, we can make this testing season positive and successful for everyone. Here are some suggestions of what can be done to help our students succeed.
- Encourage students to get a good nights rest before each testing day.
- Make sure students eat a healthy breakfast at home or in the cafeteria.
- Students need to have everything ready to go the night before each test in order to arrive at school on time.
- Make sure students wear comfortable clothing while taking the test.
- Remind students to follow test directions carefully and use all of the time allowed for the test if needed. Students do not need to feel rushed.
- Students need to hear encouragement from everyone; parents, teachers, and administrators.