While you are reading, what do you notice most about the way the story/novel is written? Look at the elements of style.
- Does he/she use elevated language, everyday language, slang, dialect? What difference does it make?
- What point of view is used? How does this affect your reading?
- Does he/she use figurative language and/or imagery effectively?
- What about the sentences? Are they mostly simple or complex?
- What about details? Is his/her writing very detailed? If so, what is the effect on your reading and understanding?
Now, choose a passage that exemplifies what you think and highlight and make side notes that prove you are right.