There are some great resources online at www.pcboe.net/les/elderweb/first%20grade.htm. I will be using some of these resources in class. However, our spelling and sight words will differ a little from these resources. Helpful suggestions: When your child gets stuck on an unfamiliar word, get him/her to sound out and blend the sounds together out loud. Ask him or her to reread sentences to help with fluency and comprehension. Say-spell-say is a great way to practice spelling words, and any game that requires your child to race to a new speed with sight words is always beneficial. Flash cards will be provided each week for use at home as well.
For the week of 9/05/2017, our shared story is Biscuit. We will practice reading this story by echo reading, choral reading, and partner reading.
1st grade goal: 24 words per minute (by Dec.) / 47 words per minute (by May)
Students should be able to read 47 words per minute by the end of first grade.
Your child will bring home a Reading book every night to read. Please have him/her read the words at the beginning of the book and practice reading the story every night. Story comprehension test and words in the beginning of the book will be tested on Friday of each week. This will be a separate test from the spelling/sight word test on Friday.
Thank you so much for helping your child at home. I appreciate it so much !!
Reading Book 1.1 Reading Book 1.2
Reading Book 1.3 Reading Book 1.4
Reading Book 1.5
SIGHT WORD GAMES
Sight Word Match
Word Bender Game
All Kinds of Games
While you are reading with your child ask him/her some of the following questions.
Questions to ask before reading:
- What is the title of the book?
- What do you think the book is about?
- What are you curious to find out about this book?
Questions to ask during reading:
- What do you think will happen next?
- What is the problem in the book?
- Why do yo think the character did that?
Questions to ask after reading:
- Describe the setting of the story.
- Describe how a character changed throughout the book.
- Which of the characters did you like best? Why?
- What were some of the problems or situations the characters encountered?
- Tell about a part that you liked or disliked and tell why?