Warm ups Unit 3 SS8H2 The colonial period of Georgia
Week 5 Warm ups New Unit 3 SS8H2 September 13th Name, Date, period Standard SS8H2 Warm ups
1. Copy the Standard on a new page in your IAN SS8H2. all Elements The standard SS8H2 is below
Analyze the colonial period of Georgia’s history.
a. Explain the importance of the Charter of 1732, including the reasons for settlement (philanthropy, economics, and defense).
b. Analyze the relationship between James Oglethorpe, Tomochichi, and Mary Musgrove in establishing the city of Savannah at Yamacraw Bluff.
c. Evaluate the role of diverse groups (Jews, Salzburgers, Highland Scots, and Malcontents) in settling Georgia during the Trustee Period.
d. Explain the transition of Georgia into a royal colony with regard to land ownership, slavery, alcohol, and government.
e. Give examples of the kinds of goods and services produced and traded in colonial Georgia
2. Define the term Philanthropy- Chartiy - the desire to promote the welfare of others, expressed especially by the generous donation of money to good causes.
9-15 - Warm up SS8H2 Friday
3. What were the 3 reasons for the colonizing the area called Georgia? Charity. Economics and defense Philanthropy is another name for charity
4. Who was the founding father of the colony of Georgia?Jame Edward Oglethrope who is your daddy ?
9-18 Warm up SS8H2 Monday
5. Who was the Yamacraw chief who signed the Treaty of Savannah which provided land to the colonist? Chief Tomochichi of the Yamacraw Indians
6. Mary Musgrove was the translator between the colonist and the Native Americans. Give another name for translator .__Interpreter _____
9-19-17 Tuesday Warm up
7. Describe the difference between the Charter of Georgia 1732 and the colonization of Georgia 1733 .
Answer: The Charter of 1732 was a legal document signed by the King of England giving James Oglethrope permission to colonize the area of Georgia.
The colonization 1733 was the year James Oglethrop and the colonist came to live, setttle on the lands of
8. What was the name of the 1st settlement of Georgia Called?___Savannah _________________
9-20-17 Wednesday Warm up
9.What is missing from the list of restrictions on the new Georgia colony. The trustees banned Rum ( alcholol), slavery, lawyers, liquor dealers, women could not own land and __Catholics___________were not allowed on the colony.
10. The Battle of Bloody Marsh setteled the question of land between __Spanish______________Florida and ___English_____________. Georgia . Note give the country .
9-21-17 Thursday Warm up
11. Who were the Protestant colonists from Germany /Austria who migrated to Georgia seeking religious freedom?_________
12. What was the name of the colonists that were upset about the rules of the Trustee Colony. _Malcontents____
Week 6 Warm up list SS8H2
September 25th Monday Warm up SS8H2
1. Who were the soldiers from Scotland who helped Jame Oglethrope defend the colony from the Spanish.___The HighlandScots from Scotland ________________
2. What year was slavery legalized in Georgia? 1751
September 26th Tuesday Warm up SS8H2
3. Who were the 3 Royal Governors of Georgia?John Reynolds, Henry Ellis, James Wright
4. Which Royal Governor was the first to serve the Georgia Colony? John Reynolds
September 27th Wednesday warm up SS8H2
5. Which Royal governor was the longest serving governor?
6. Royal Governor Henry Ellis divided the colony into parishes to help the government work better, What does the term Parish mean? County is another name for parish today- A division of church territorial unit or jurisdiction, area / Georgia began with 8 parishes and today we have 159 counties
September 28th Thursday Warm Up SS8H2
7. Explain the impact the Royal Governors had on the development of Georgia?
Tell how the colony improved. Think
8. How did legalizing slavery help The Georgia Colony?