SS5CG1 Explain how a citizen’s rights are protected under the U.S. Constitution. a. Explain the responsibilities of a citizen. b. Explain the concept of due process of law and describe how the U.S. Constitution protects a citizen’s rights by due process.
SS5CG2 Explain the process by which amendments to the U.S. Constitution are made. a. Explain the amendment process outlined in the Constitution. b. Describe the purpose for the amendment process.
SS5CG3 Explain how amendments to the U. S. Constitution have maintained a representative democracy/republic. a. Explain how voting rights are protected by the 15th, 19th, 23rd, 24th, and 26th amendments.
- Citizen-members of a city, state or a nation.
- Rights- freedoms that are protected by the law, such as those in the Bill of Rights
- Responsibility – Something that you should do
- Duty- Something you must do
- Due Process –fair treatment under the law
- Amendment- Any change or addition made to the United States Constitution
- Bill of Rights- the first 10 amendments to the Constitution
- Ratify- approve
- Jury- group of people who listen to the facts of a case and decide whether the person accused of the crime is innocent or guilty
The Amendment Process: