Click on the picture above to learn more.
The purposes of the GELDS are to:
- Guide teachers who work with children from birth through five in providing quality learning experiences;
- Guide parents in supporting their children’s growth, development, and learning potential;
- Lay the groundwork for applying the standards in pre-service training, professional development, curriculum planning, and child outcome documentation;
- Create a “Universal Language” for all stakeholders to use regarding the learning and development of children. Stakeholders would include parents, teachers, pediatricians, early interventionists, policy-makers, etc;
- Raise public awareness about the significance of the early years as the foundation for school success and lifelong learning and the importance of the teacher’s role in the process; and
- Support the early identification and referral of children with special learning needs.