Intro to Public Safety
Mid - Term Study Guide
OVERVIEW OF THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM
- List 5 examples of social institutions.
2. What percentage (%) of defendants plead guilty to the charges against them (called plea bargaining)?
3. Define the term Appeal.
4. Identify the 3 zones of a hazmat incident. Which zone does a firefighter certified as a hazmat technician work in?
5. What is the best protective measure to practice to prevent the spread of infectious diseases?
OJ SIMPSON TRIAL
6. List 2 major mistakes the prosecutors made during the OJ Trial regarding the GLOVES.
7. Which of the following REQUIRES probable cause (warrant) to be a legal search?
a. The search of a student by an administrator in a public school
b. A security search at an airport
c. A pat down/stop and frisk searching for weapons
d. When the driver of a vehicle gives consent to search the vehicle
e. The search of a suspicious house
8. What TWO (2) elements must be present to REQUIRE Miranda v. Arizona “Miranda Warnings” to be read?
9. What is the first priority for police officers to recognize during a traffic stop or any other police operation?
10. Define probable cause
11. How many justices sit on the U.S. Supreme Court?
12. Who is considered the most powerful person in the administration of Justice?
13. Define Bail
14. Define Proof Beyond a Reasonable Doubt
USE OF FORCE
15. In general, why do police use force?
16. Name 5 examples of items that COULD BE USED as a deadly weapon.
17. List 3 reasons an officer may use force.
18. An important thing to remember about using force is…
a. If one thing will not work, try something else
b. Pain is only used to gain compliance
c. Physiological factors like health and body structure will affect pain level
d. Psychological factors like mental illness and drug use can affect pain level
e. All of the above are true about using force.