Parts of a Plant
1. Roots - the part of the plant that absorbs water and
minerals, stores food, and achors the plant.
4 kinds of Roots: Aerial, Fibrous, Taproots, Prop Roots
2. Stem - 2 kinds: woody or soft.
** The stem's purpose is to
1. support its structure
2. serve as a transport system for the plant
** 2 kinds of cells that make up the transport system
1. Xylem - series of tubes that moves water and
minerals up the stem
2. Phloem- moves sugar that are made in the
plant's leaves to other parts of plant
Soft Stems - are not strong.
They are soft, green, and can
can bend. Their cells have chlorophyll and
Woody Stems- covered with bark
Woody stems do not contain chlorophyll.
they have a tough, outer covering that
serves as a protective layer.
3. Leaves - function is to carry out the Photosynthesis or the
or the process of making food.
Leaves need 3 things: sunlight, water, & carbon