General Horticulture and Nursery and Landscape Kick-off: Answer the following questions about turfgrass in Georgia.
1. Name 3 types of cool season grasses that grow in Georgia
2. Name 4 commonly found broadleaf lawn weeds.
3. What is the difference between a selective herbicide versus a non-selective herbicide?
4. What time of year does warm season grasses go dormant and what does it look like when it is dormant?
5. What is over-seeding?
6. In north Georgia, what type of grass is most often overseeded, and what species of cool-season grass is most often used?
7. What type of grass would be best to plant under the dense shade of a large oak tree?
8. What is a transition zone as it relates to trufgrass?
9. Which turfgrass weed has 3 small heart-shaped leaves, a yellow flower that matures into a small okra-like pod? The stems, flowers, and leaves of this weed are also edible with a sour taste.
Forest Management Kick-off: Use the wordbank to identify the following forest insects.
Wordbank: tent caterpillar, cicada, pine bark beetle, bagworm, scale, aphids