Class Launcher: Explain the historical significance of this image?
Standards: ELAGSE9-10RL2: Determine a theme and/or central idea of text and analyze in detail its development over the course of the text, including how it emerges and is shaped and refined by specific details; provide an objective summary of the text. ELAGSE9-10RL3: Analyze how complex characters (e.g., those with multiple or conflicting motivations) develop over the course of a text, interact with other characters, and advance the plot or develop the theme. ELAGSE9-10W1: Write arguments to support claims in an analysis of substantive topics or texts, using valid reasoning and relevant and sufficient evidence.
EQ: How does the character development contribute to the theme of the book and move the plot forward?
Activator: Quiz over Chapters 1-2 TKAM.
Teaching and Learning Strategies: Read Chapter 8 (65-76) and post your summary in Showbie.
Answer the questions for Chapter 8:
- Why does Scout quiz Atticus about his visit to the Radley house? How much does Atticus tell her?
- What is the “near libel” which Jem puts in the front yard? How do Miss Maudie and Atticus react to it?
- Why does Atticus save Miss Maudie's oak rocking chair?
- When Atticus asks Scout about the blanket around her shoulders, what does Jem realize?
- Explain what Atticus means by telling Jem not to let his discovery “inspire ” him to “further glory”? Is there any reason why Jem might now do as his father says?
Characters: Complete STEAL for Atticus.
Summarizer: Using literary terms for characterization, describe Jem's character. You need two words.