Class Launcher: Write a dialogue between you and the turkey. Include an alliteration in each line.
Standards: ELAGSE9-10RL2: Determine a theme and/or central idea of text and analyze in detail its development over the course of the text, including how it emerges and is shaped and refined by specific details; provide an objective summary of the text. ELAGSE9-10RL3: Analyze how complex characters (e.g., those with multiple or conflicting motivations) develop over the course of a text, interact with other characters, and advance the plot or develop the theme. ELAGSE9-10W1: Write arguments to support claims in an analysis of substantive topics or texts, using valid reasoning and relevant and sufficient evidence.
EQ: How does the character development contribute to the theme of the book?
Activator: YOU NEED A PENCIL OR PEN and PAPER NUMBERED 1-10. Spelling Bee Round 1 (ten words). Students with the highest number of correct answers will move on to Round 2 (ten words). Repeat for Round 3, if necessary.
Teaching and Learning Strategies: Read Chapter 6 (51-58); the questions can serve as your summary.
Consider these questions as you read Chapter 6 -
- Why does Scout disapprove of Jem's and Dill's plan of looking in at one of the Radleys' windows?
- What does Mr. Nathan Radley know about the intruders in his garden? Why does Miss Stephanie refer to a “negro” over whose head Mr. Nathan has fired?
- Why does Dill's explanation of Jem's state of dress almost land him in trouble?
Read Chapter 7 (59-65); the questions can serve as your summary.
Consider these questions as you read Chapter 7 -
- When Jem tells Scout about getting his trousers back, he tells her of something strange. What is this?
- Can you find any evidence that Jem is beginning to understand more than Scout about Boo Radley? What do you think this is?
- Does Jem still fear the gifts in the tree? Give reasons for your answer.
- When the children plan to send a letter to the person who leaves the gifts, they are prevented. How does this happen? Who does it, and why might he do so?
Summarizer: What is the current theme in TKAM?