8/14: Which of the following pieces of lab equipment would be used for growing E.coli bacteria?
- Petri dish
8/15: Athena has been heating a solution in a beaker. What does she need to do to remove the beaker from the hot plate?
- Simply pick up the beaker
- Turn off the hot plate and allow the beaker to cool
- Use tongs or rubber pads to remove from hot plate
- More than one of these
8/17: A field of sunflowers facing the sun is an example of
8/22: A covalent bond is formed by the
- Transfer of electrons
- Sharing of electrons
- Gaining of electrons
- Losing of electrons
8/23: A light microscope that has an objective lens of 10X and an ocular lens of 20X has a total magnification of
8/24: The substance that makes up a large portion of the molecules in your cell and often called basis for all life is
8/25: A water molecule is polar because its hydrogen and oxygen atoms
- Both lose electrons
- Become ions
- Both gain electrons
- Do not share electrons equally
8/30: What two types of macromolecules can be used for energy?
- Proteins and carbohydrates
- Carbohydrates and lipids
- Lipids and proteins
- Proteins and nucleic acids
9/6: A major difference between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells is that
- Prokaryotic cells have a flagellum.
- Eukaryotic cells have a nucleus.
- Prokaryotic cells have cytoplasm.
- Eukaryotic cells have ribosomes.
9/7: The “powerhouse” of the cell is the
9/8: Some viruses attack cells by inserting their own DNA into the host cells’ DNA. Why might it be simpler for these viruses to attack prokaryotic cells than eukaryotic cells?
- Prokaryotic cells have less DNA than do eukaryotic cells.
- Unlike eukaryotic cells, prokaryotic cells do not have a nucleus.
- The cell wall in prokaryotic cells is a less effective barrier.
- The rapid growth of prokaryotic cells generates more virus.
9/13: Which organelle allow some cells to make food and produce oxygen with photosynthesis?
- Golgi apparatus
- Central vacuole
- Cell wall
9/14: What part of the cell serves as the intracellular highway?
- Endoplasmic reticulum
- Golgi apparatus
- Cell membrane
9/18: Which of the following pairs incorrectly matches a cell structure with its function?
- Cell membrane—protein synthesis
- Nucleus—genetic material storage
- Chloroplast—energy production
9/19: Which organelle contains enzymes that break down damaged cell parts?
9/20: The plasma membrane contains which of the following?
- Many proteins
- All of these
9/21: Which of the following best describes the characteristics of the fluid mosaic model?
- Fluid because the phospholipids can move and mosaic because the phospholipids form different shapes.
- Fluid because the membrane has water between the phospholipids and mosaic because the phospholipids differ from each other.
- Fluid because water can diffuse through the membrane and mosaic because different molecules types can also diffuse through.
- Fluid because of the movement of phospholipids and mosaic because of the proteins.
9/26: Which process is used to release insulin from pancreatic cells into the bloodstream?
- Active transport
- Passive transport
10/2: ______________ produces __________, which is the energy molecule for the cell.
- Chloroplast, ATP
- Mitochondria, ATP
- Chloroplast, Glucose
- Mitochondria, Glucose
10/3: Which statement best describes the relationship between a consumer and a producer?
- A lion eating an antelope.
- A caterpillar eating a leaf.
- A snake eating a rat.
- A flower absorbing sunlight.
10/5: ATP contains all of the following except
- Three phosphates
10/9: Which of the following takes place in the light-dependent reaction?
- Sugars are made
- Energy is captured.
- Chlorophyll is pumped.
- CO2 is formed.
10/16: Which phrase best describes the function of ATP molecule?
- Stores energy
- Carries energy
- Absorbs energy
- Converts energy
10/17: The function of the light-dependent reactions is to
- Build sugars
- Capture and transfer energy
- Release carbon dioxide
- Form water molecules
10/18: What is the net total ATP produced by cellular respiration?
- 2 ATP
- 4 ATP
- 32 ATP
- 36 ATP