Get your plicker card and answer the following question (based on the date):
8/8: After formulating a hypothesis, a scientist
- proves the hypothesis to be true or false
- tests the hypothesis
- makes sure environmental conditions are just right
- formulates a scientific theory
8/9: Which of the following is an example of qualitative data?
- The fish swam in a zigzag motion.
- The contents of the stomach are mixed every 20 seconds.
- The temperature decreased from 20°C to 15°C.
- The six pairs of robins hatched an average of three chicks each.
8/10: “Acidic” is the appropriate description for three of the following. Which one is the exception?
- Excess hydrogen ions
- Magnesium hydroxide
- The contents of the stomach
- A pH less than 7
8/13: A researcher examines the structure of a protein that has been extracted from the membrane of a eukaryotic cell. She finds that the surface of one domain of the protein consists entirely of hydrophobic amino acids, whereas the surface of another domain consists of hydrophilic amino acids. What can she most reasonably conclude about this protein?
- This protein is probably found deep within the cell and must have been mixed with the membrane material in error during sample preparation.
- The protein is probably embedded completely within the phospholipid bilayer.
- The protein is probably bound to the outer surface of the cell membrane, facing the extracellular matrix.
- The protein is probably embedded in the cell membrane with portions extending either into the extracellular matrix or the cytoplasm.
8/14: Which of the following statements regarding carbon is false?
- Carbon has the capacity to form polar covalent bonds with hydrogen.
- Carbon has the ability to form covalent bonds with up to four other atoms.
- Carbon has the capacity to form single and double bonds.
- Carbon has the ability to bond together to form extensive branched or unbranched “carbon skeletons.”
8/15: What defining characteristic of life is observed when a jogging man begins to sweat and when a plant closes its stomata openings in its leaves?
- Cellular makeup
8/16: Which of the following statements is incorrect?
- An element is made of one specific type of atom.
- An ion is an atom with a net electric charge due to the loss or gain of one or more protons.
- A compound is composed of two or more elements in a fixed ratio.
- An element is defined by the number of protons.
8/17: Which of the following properties of water can be attributed to hydrogen bonding between water molecules?
- Water stabilizes temperature inside and outside the cell
- Water molecules are cohesive
- Water is a solvent for many molecules
- All of these are correct