Any student who turns in a completed Rockmart Library summer reading sheet to his/her ELA teacher at the beginning of the 2015-2016 school year will be able to visit the Directed Studies Room to participate in fun day activities.
In addition, we would like as many students as possible to participate in our online reading challenge this summer. Any student who uses myON this summer is encouraged to post reading pictures online using the hashtags #eastsidesummerreading #eastsidemyonreading . All Georgia students have free access to myOn through the summer to encourage reading. Students can access MyON by clicking here and entering their lunch ID # as their username, password is myon.
Below are some activities that you can easily do at home to get ready for our first math unit of 2nd grade:
- Roll single digit numbers and add them together.
- Roll 2-digit or 3-digit numbers and add them together.
- Add all the digits of your house number together.
- Make a train with Legos or colored blocks. Write a number sentence for the different colors in the train.
- Represent two digit numbers with popsicle sticks - make bundles of ten for the tens and use single sticks for the ones. Add the piles together.
- Use small items (counters, beans, small toys) to represent number sentences. Use index cards to make +, -, <, >, and = symbols. Show a number sentence with a missing element: 7 + ___ = 12. Have your student find the missing addend.
For additional information about 2nd grade, Georgia teaching standards, please visit www.gadoe.org