Steps to Format an APA Running Head
1. On the title page, go to Insert then click Header
2. Click Blank
3. Type the words Running head: and then type your running head all capitalized.
Example- Running head: CIVIL WAR GENERALS
(make sure your running head looks just like this example)
4. Then tab over and put number 1 in top right hand corner.
5. Highlight your header and page number, then change your font and size to Times New Roman 12.
6. Click out of the header and type the rest of the title page.
7. Make sure that you have the page set to double space, then hit Enter five times
8. Type your title, name, class name, and due dates on separate lines
9. Hit Enter after you have typed your title page information
10. Then click Page Layout at top of page. Click on Breaks then Next Page
11. On page 2, double click at top of page to open the header, then click Link to Previous
12. Make sure Different First Page is NOT checked
13. Remove the words Running head and the number 1 from header
14. At the top of the page, click on Page Number—make sure the cursor is where you want the page number—click Current Position and then Plain Number.
15. At the top of the page, click Page Number—click Format Page Number
16. Click on Start At, and type in the number 2. Click OK.
17. Close header